Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year's Day Session @ Quan's

Short update..

I was ITCHIN' to play on New Year's day and I was waiting on someone to pull the trigger... Quan called me while I was at Target and I knew it was about to go down. I had a really solid session on 1-1-06 (also my dad's birthday) and left with $45 dollars profit after the session ended. I played some really disciplined poker... Letting go AK, AQ, and AJ several times (saving myself some money). They say in the poker books that you make money by not LOSING money with key laydowns.. but most beginners (and I'm still a beginner - ain't no ego here YET) don't put that into practice when they play.. Well I try my best to put it into practice when I play... and that doesn't mean that I'm going to let other players run over me while I'm holding solid cards by striving for the ULTIMATE laydowns. I just go off the vibe and my instincts and if it doesn't feel right to me, I'll let the hand go (especially pre-flop). Period.

Back to the session itself... I was in several pots with Quan and I'm happy to come out the victor in most of them that day. 1. I flopped the nut straight Ace to 10 and doubled up through him while holding QJ... 2. I didn't believe his bluff on the river on another hand.. called and took it down (I don't even remember my cards and the board) and 3. The best bluff of my "career" to date... I was on a draw with AQ of hearts and all I needed was one more heart to come on either the turn or river for my nut flush... I wasn't going to get good odds for drawing against Quan.. so I decided after the flop to play like my hand was made already and play strong.. I put out "feeler bets" after the flop and after the turn (I was out of position). He raised my bet after the turn and I called.. showing strength. I was thinking about pushing all-in on the turn but I decided to chill. On the river I missed my heart flush again but the card was scary (might have been a king) so I decided to make a move.. so I checked to him. He threw out a bet that I thought was suspicious and once I sensed a little weakness.. I knew my check-raise bluff would work. I pushed all-in immediately after his bet and he folded instantly. I showed my bluff (ace-high / missed draw) to the table and I regretted showing it right after I did it.. But thinking about it now, I'm glad I showed it because it'll give my buddy Quan a little more to think about while in a hand with me. This move and the squeeze play in Arlington make me really proud of my growth in poker.. but I'm not satisfied so I'm going to continue to hit the books, blogs, etc. as hard as I can.

At any rate... Solid session and I'm looking forward to playing in Chris Darmanin's tournament in D.C. on Thursday. Until then...

Peace,
Rico Rico

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home